Photo: Gary J. Wood from Flickr
For over one hundred years Rosedale has held the distinction of being Toronto’s most fashionable address. Many of Toronto’s wealthiest and most prominent citizens reside in the Rosedale neighbourhood.
Rosedale is unique in that it is surrounded by beautiful ravines and parkland that make you feel as if you are far away from the city, while in reality Rosedale is just a few minutes from Toronto’s major business, entertainment, and shopping districts.
Rosedale residents living west of Mount Pleasant Road are within walking distance of the upscale shops and restaurants, located on Yonge Street, in the Summerhill area.
North Rosedale residents, east of Mount Pleasant Road, can obtain all of their household needs within a small commercial block on Summerhill Avenue, at the very north end of Rosedale.
Rosedale buses run on South Drive, Crescent and Glen Roads, as well as Summerhill, Maclennan, Highland and Elm Avenues. The Rosedale buses connect with the Rosedale station on the Yonge-University-Spadina subway line or the Sherbourne station on the Bloor-Danforth subway line.
Motorists are just minutes away from the Don Valley Parkway.
Rosedale is traversed by a network of ancient ravines, including the Vale of Avoca, Moore Park, Park Drive and Rosedale Valley ravines. The beautiful trails in these ravines are enjoyed by nature, and fitness enthusiasts alike. Access points to Rosedale’s ravine trails are located at designated spots throughout the neighbourhood.
Rosedale Park, located off Schofield Avenue, has eight tennis courts, a sports field, an artificial ice rink, and a wading pool. Ramsden Park, off Yonge Street, features four tennis courts, an artificial ice rink, and a wading pool.
Mooredale House, at 146 Crescent Road, is a community centre run by the Rosedale and Moore Park resident associations. There is a small annual fee to join Mooredale, which offers sports, fitness, arts, and music programs for adults and children.
Rosedale began when Sherrif William Botsford Jarvis, and his wife Mary settled on a homestead here in the 1820’s. It was Mary Jarvis who came up with the Rosedale name, as a tribute to the profusion of wild roses that graced the hillsides of the Jarvis estate.
Mary’s frequent walks and horseback rides through Rosedale, blazed a trail for the meandering and winding streets that are today a Rosedale trademark. The Jarvis family sold the Rosedale homestead in 1864 which led to the subdivision and development of South Rosedale.
North Rosedale’s development began in 1909 when a bridge was built over the Park Drive ravine. Prior to its residential development North Rosedale had been the original home of St. Andrews College and the Rosedale Golf Club. It was also the site of the former lacrosse grounds, where the Canadian Football League’s first Grey Cup game was played.
Content courtesy of torontoneighbourhoods.net